Monday, October 4, 2010

Marianne Dages

This week our lecture was with a Miss Marianne Dages.  It is funny because in my 2-D class the next day, unfortunately, nobody could remember her name.  She was a good speaker and talked about interesting things, but she only mentioned her name once.  She emphasized the importance of finding your own space to work once you leave school.  Throughout the speech, I grew very envious of this girl.  She spoke of this magical place where artists go to do work.  They have infinite time and limited distractions.  I cannot help but crave the time she was given.  When were all waist deep in work, time sounds like the most beautiful thing in the world.  Besides the wonderful work we create of course.  Anyway, she also talked about her friends who were also successful in finding studio space.  The one that really caught my attention was the story of the married couple she was good friends with.  I couldn't imagine working in unison with your spouse.  They must have so much fun together. 
As for Mariann's work, I never would have thought of book binding as a career, but her work is beautiful and unique.  I personally would be so proud to be able to carry around a book that was hand bound by me.  She is very talented in her field of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment